Today we spent a lot of time messing with our Pistol Target Shooting Hobby. We went to Ski's Gun Shop and then to Max's Gun Shop and then to the Ross Gun Shop. We also visited Sportman's Warehouse. We discussed pistols via email and phone with HD and also talked to Matt Q. about the location of a shooting area east of town. We bought 50 rounds of 9 mm and 50 rounds of .38 Special. We found out that our Grand Dad's .32 S&W Short revolver is basically worthless. That was a let down. We swapped out our H&R speed loader for two five round .38 loaders plus upgraded to a two unit speed loader holder. The difference in cost was a mere $13. We also bought a pair of ear muffs and eye safety glasses to carry in our "range kit." We picked up a classic NRA Range Officer Hat and a great case for our .38 snubnose at Deseret Industries. We even ordered a .38 Special keychain on Ebay for under $4 including shipping.
Frankly, I haven't paid much attention to .38 Special since I bought my snubbie back in 1974. That's a story we will tell one of these days. We got both the snubbie and the H&R 9-shot revolver on the same day in Lebanon, Indiana. We learned today that the prices of the snubbies has skyrocketed. I think I paid well under $200 for the Airweight back then. Now you'd have to pay maybe $350 for the same thing. Inflation, I guess.
I'd really like to create a nice weekly shooting event on the same day at the same time each week. I learned down in Arizona that having such a Lighthouse Beacon was a Good Thing. Everybody looked forward to that time and place each week. They organized their life around that schedule. I think that's a good thing.
Yesterday, Houn' Dawg took me to a place out where the basalt meets the soil and it was a great spot. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that any given place there will be open on any given time and day. It's hit and miss (no pun intended).
We had a real good time. HD brought some long .22's and they were a hoot to shoot. We both struggled with our pistols. Surprisingly, I had my best success with my most difficult pistol--the snubbie. That little two inch barrel is a real handful. It's hot and and it's HARD! If you merely flick your wrist a millimeter, your round will sky out in a heartbeat. It's best at what the Old Timers called "card table range." No doubt about that.
I'd like to get pretty good at ten yards. I feel like ten yards is within what the military likes to call "the rules of engagement." I'm not sure you can shoot somebody at ten yards and be legal so I do need to check up on that. But I figure if I can hit a tight group at ten yards, I can hit some thing a lot closer with a high degree of probability that what I am shooting will stop advancing. I guess that's a real key to the equation.
This evening, I have been spending a lot of time researching Range Bags on ebay and various item for sale with regard to .38 Special. It's been a lot of fun. This is one way to exercise my shooting hobby without spending a damned dime. The cool thing about shooting only once a week is that it gives the participants time to spend to get ready for each week's episode. After each shooting range episode, we then each go back to our little rabbit holes and sit around and think of a way to improve ourselves the following week. It's a cool cycle and schedule and I am really glad to think I might have a willing partner in this arcane practice.
THANKS, HD!
Many Cheers, jp
No comments:
Post a Comment